Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Once again I have been neglecting my writing duties... It always goes like this when I start a journal too, Gung ho for the first little while and then it peters out. So, anyway, life has been going better for the last two weeks. Rachel mentioned in the last blog that my job was not looking so secure so I thought I would update and expand on that. At Chiropractic college we learned a great deal about the body, and about how to identify what goes wrong and about how to adjust body parts etc. What we didn't learn was how to put together a management plan and how to communicate that to a patient. There was no correlation between how many times do you have to do A for this condition before moving on to B and so on. This partially because chiropractor disagree widely on these subjects but we ended up with no guide. I had been treating my patients based on whether they were feeling better or not, rather than taking control of the situation and saying 'you need X treatments to get better over this period of time for this condition to get better and stay better.' When my boss sat me down and we looked at my stats for that last year I could see that instead of treating the condition was purely using if they 'felt okay' as a marker for stopping treatment. We've talked about different strategies, more about what to do and when. I think it's going okay right now. The last two weeks have also been my two busiest ever, which also helps. I'm not out of the woods yet but it's certainly a step in the right direction. In all jobs we make mistakes and there are periods where we do little and everything happens for us while at other times we work very hard for little reward. Learning a profession involves identifying what works and what doesn't for a business as well as for a patient. I appreciate everyone that has been praying for us during this time. My relationship with my boss is still good, he's pleased with some of the other things that I've been working on that have just come about, like I'm now the official chiropractor to the Hull Stingrays, who are a hockey team that is in the top league in England. I just have to make sure that I see some sustainable results over the next few months.
On another note, our first service as a church plant is tomorrow so we'd appreciate some pray for that. I am really starting to get excited about the whole thing.