Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Around the outside of the house

Hi! I just thought I'd show you some photos from around the outside of the house. It's still winter here, but spring is right around the corner, and flowers and blossoms have already begun to bloom! I'm keen to start gardening and hopefully have a friend coming around on Friday to give me some Australian gardening tips.

Below is out eco-house at 610 Laurie Street! Notice the solar-panel and the water tank at the side of the house. The glare of the sun has hidden the roof, but it slopes upwards from the front of the house to the back... like the shape of Gumbi's head. The driveway is to the left, and curves underneath the house.

Bella (on the right by the corner of the shed) was keeping me company.

The lush green area in the back is actually all weeds, I think, and that's the area I'm going to plant some veggies!

I'm delighted in the things already growing in our garden: lemon, lime, and grapefruit trees, and possibly orange and kumquat, as well as parsley, rosemary and few others herbs (I think). I LOVE having fresh herbs in the garden because they are just so darn expensive to buy! The blue bins are for compost.

Ooh, I forgot to mention lavender!

There are a few beautiful things growing alongside our driveway as well...





And last but not least, photos from the porch. We love the view!


An Australian sunset.




Finally, just for fun, an easy recipe we enjoy (from "Crazy Plates" cookbook):

Low-Fatty Patties (Thai Tuna Burgers)

1 can tuna
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1/4 cup each minced green onions and grated carrots (sometimes I do minced green peppers instead)
1 tbsp each soy sauce, ketchup, grated fresh gingerroot, and chopped, fresh cilantro
1 egg
1 tsp sesame oil 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
6 whole-grain hamburger rolls
Burger toppings

Mix it, shape it into balls, flatten the balls, and cook 'em up! The recipe suggests chilling the mixture in the fridge for 30 minutes first, but I don't and they still turn out great. I fry them in coconut oil, but you could also grill or broil them. They are delicious! Makes 4 - 6 patties. Enjoy!