Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Monday, July 17, 2006

the black stuff

My wife and I went to London this past weekend. I had a two-day conference, which after a week of work left me pretty exhausted. I actually took a nap between patients this morning. Going to London is always a slightly surreal experience. On the one hand, it's kind of like being on vacation because there are things to do and see there that you can't do or see where we live. On the other hand, London is just a big dirty city. It's outrageously expensive and heavily polluted as evidenced by going back to the hotel at the end of the day and blowing your nose. My nose was filled with black junk like I had been down a coal mine or like when you are following a friend down a really dry single-track trail on your bike and you just eat dust the entire time. I can't imagine what it does to you if you live there.
It got me thinking as to what else is the black stuff in my life spiritually. What little things do I not even notice that I let into my system that affect my health? The only time I notice is when I pray and I blow a load of gunk out. It's funny how I'm perfectly willing to walk around with my spiritual nose full of junk, affecting my ability to 'smell' but I can't stand to have my real nose dirty. I guess the answer, as always, is to spend more time in prayer.