Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Monday, July 10, 2006

I just stepped in a big pile of shed

Not a typo. This weekend I helped my landlord build a shed that she bought from B&Q (the UK equivelent of Home Depot). That would have been fine, but she insisted on helping me, despite my repeated subtle attempts to suggest that I would rather do it on my own. The whole thing took both Saterday and Sunday afternoon by which point I was more than a little exasperated. The thing that surprised me the most was how grumpy the whole experience made me. I mean, what do I really have to complain about? My life is one that most people in the world would gladly trade for so why am I getting bend out of shape over a flat pack shed that isn't square and a landlord who's home improvement skills are limited at best. I should be happy to help her out and glad that I have somewhere dry to store my tools and other stuff. I should be happy that I even have tools and stuff to store.
Hmm, maybe the reason so many people blog is that it seems to be theraputic. I've never got on with journalling. It always seemed like something that really spiritual christians did, but I just couldn't get into it. Maybe something about the fact that other people might actually read it and sympathize with you has something to do with it.
Apart from that, Rach and I went to a wedding this weekend which was fun. English weddings are different from American weddings and apparently this was an atypical english wedding but it was still fun and both sets of parents were really happy. The bride and groom looked suitably both happy and nervous which I think makes for a beautiful day.
On a sad note, France lost the world cup yesterday. One of my alltime football heros (don't call it soccer) Zinedine Zidane ( how's that for a cool french name) played his last game and ended it with disgrace. About 10 min before the end of extra time he got into an arguement with an italian player and ended up headbutting him in the chest. This is the first time I've ever seen anyone do this and it knocked the other player clean off his feet like he'd been hit with Rocky's uppercut. It wouldn't look out of place on a Don Cherry's Rock 'em Sock 'em Hockey Highlights reel. Now instead of being remembered as one of the greatest players of all time it will be as the guy who headbutted a player in the world cup final. Could you imagine if Gretzky hacked down a player in the stanley cup final, or Michal Schumacher drove someone into the wall on the last race of the season? I'm really disappointed.