Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Somewhere

Well, you have to start somewhere, so it might as well be here. This is the blog of Mark Colvin, aka Riptide, the ripper, Dr Colvin. I'll be musing about all kinds of things. Mostly I'll deal with the little things, when the mood strikes me I'll talk about other more serious or pressing issues. I'll not be remeniscing too much about times gone by. I prefer to live in the now.

My 'now' is life here in Hull, UK. I'm not really that keen to stay here for too long. I think that I'm just sick of england in general. Sure, it has the history, and sometime it has the culture and that dry English wit, and it's close to mainland Europe, and so on. But life is basically the sum of your experiences and I want my experience to include more adventure, more travel and less rain.

Hull is not the worst place to live. In general, the people are friendly, the air is pretty clean but it's far from spectacular. Most of the city looks depressed. It just looks like things were built without any consideration for what they would look like in 30 years. It is very flat. Holland is hillier than Hull. The water of the Humber river is always brown (it is a tidal estuary) In short, I would like to live somewhere that is pretty again. I've lived in Canada (amazing), Germany (pretty, and very efficient), Nigeria (not an experience to be repeated) and now England (like your grandma's house, nice to visit but you wouldn't want to live here)

Well that's enough rambling for now. I'll be linking some other cool blogs with this site. Hope you can stick around for the journey for awhile